This past weekend was the unofficial start of SUMMER!!! Our favorite time of year for road trips and vacations. For all that your best friend(s) give you throughout the year, make this trip a happy and safe one with the following tips:
- Appropriate restraint device, travel crate or carrier
- Food and water, bowls, medications, supplements and vitamins (even a few extra in case of a delayed return home)
- Disposal bags for pet waste and cleaning supplies for emergencies
- Leash and collar with up-to-date ID tags (with your cell phone number), microchip information, rabies tags and/or fully-charged GPS device
- If your dog suffers from motion sickness, check with your veterinarian about effective treatment options
Most pet owners are not familiar with canine motion sickness or are even aware of the signs their dog may be exhibiting. We always think dogs love to go for a ride in the car but that is not always the case.
Symptoms to look for:
Dry heaving, drooling, vomiting, inactivity, yawning, pacing, whining, excessive lip licking, excessive panting and restlessness.
Make your road trip enjoyable for all family members. Be safe and have fun!!